I spotted some raspberries in the freezer so I made this cake. It’s almost better to use frozen berries because they don’t get squished and squashed as much. Of course if you want pink cake use fresh!
- 150g soft butter
- 150g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- a few drops of almond extract
- 2 large eggs
- 150g self raising flour
- 150g ground almonds
- 50ml double cream
- 50ml milk
- 200g raspberries-fresh or frozen
- 25g flaked almonds
Preheat your oven to 180°C and butter and line a 20cm/8″ cake tin
- Beat the butter and sugar together. Hard. Until it is light, fluffy and paler in colour. Then beat it for another minute. Add in the extracts and beat some more.
- Whisk in the eggs one at a time.
- Mix the milk and cream together and fold half into your batter. If the milk/cream is fridge cold your mixture might look split or curdle-y but don’t worry.
- Fold in the ground almonds followed by the rest of the liquid. Fold in the flour. Now it should be dropping consistency, give it a spoon of milk or two if it is too stiff.
- Nice and gentle, fold in the raspberries. Spoon it into the tin and smooth the top. Sprinkle the flaked almonds on top. Bake for 30-35 min until golden and delicious and a skewer comes out clean.
I like to serve this with a jug of pouring cream. I love to make it in the summer, after a visit to the PYO farm…I’ll throw in an extra 50g or so. Usually I’m not a fan of baking berries but this is the exception