This is a trick I learned when I worked at Beaumont Hospital in Dublin. This particular hospital is in the middle of a massive campus and there’s just no way to nip out to the shops without having a car or a spare hour.
It’s also perfect for days like today where I find myself alone in an isolated hotel with a pretty uninspiring sandwich. This is how to turn it into something a bit fancier.
You will need
- An iron and ironing board
- a sandwich that would taste better hot. Some sort of cheese is always good
- about 2 feet of foil. Ask at the restaurant/bar
- Gather your supplies. Put the iron on medium and let it heat up.
- unpack the sandwich and thinly spread the outsides with butter.
- Wrap the sandwich in foil. I find the best way is to roll it up and gently scrunch the open ends together. Don’t fold them in.
- Put the foil parcel on the ironing board and apply the iron. Leave it for a few minutes then carefully turn it over. Don’t leave it unattended.
- Continue for 5-10 minutes or until you can hear sizzling noises.
- Carefully unwrap and enjoy.
It will be hot so you may need a towel to protect your hands.